1. Get Enough Sleep. I know the Sealy Posturepedic commercials tell you that since you can only get six hours, you’d better buy their $1000 mattress to get a “better six”. Really though, you should aim 8, 9, or (if you’re Ruby) 12. It will be nearly impossible to unleash your awesome if you have to guzzle multiple cups of Joe to stay awake. Be good to yourself, skip a night of American Idol or Farmville and get a good night’s sleep.
2. Hit the Ground Running. There is a reason we are supposed to exercise. It makes you feel good. I am convinced that at least half the people on anti-depressants can alleviate most of their depression by eating better, drinking more water, and getting exercise. Fresh air is good. Sunshine (in small amounts – thanks global warming) is good. So go for a walk, hit the gym, pop in that Billy Blanks DVD and Taebo your self into a better mood.
3. Confront Your Fears. “Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be?” – Marianne Williamson This hit home. The more I thought about it, the more I realized that this is how most of us think. I know so many people who have so much potential for greatness, that it isn’t even funny. It’s not that we are so afraid to fail, but that we are too afraid to succeed. One day after a terrible (TERRIBLE) rehearsal, my opera director says to me: What is wrong with you? Your career is taking off like a rocket ship. Don’t let it leave without you. That has always haunted me. I OFTEN purposefully sabotage myself. Not because I am afraid of failure, but because I’m afraid of what will happen when I succeed?
4. Realize the Workload. Yes, it’s hard. We all would rather being shopping with Paris Hilton’s credit card, chatting on Gmail, or watching Top Chef episodes on Hulu. However, in order to unleash the awesome, it takes work. Hard resume-writing work. You have to practice, every day. You have to give up the Chick-fil-A Ice Dream cones (sigh). You have to run like your life depends on it. And when I say you, I mean me.
5. Do It! What is your idea of awesome? Singing? Writing? Staining that table that you built four months ago? Just get up and do it! Put on some eye liner and kick some ass. Sometimes, unleashing your awesome is like brushing your teeth or doing the dishes. You don’t want to do it. But you know you have to. Eventually you just tackle it like a hot guy lying naked on your bed. Grrowhrr!
And for those who are curious…. I have 3 days to my first audition in three years. Not only do I plan to rock it. I WILL rock it.